New Joust 2 Arcade Core
A new arcade core for Joust 2 – Survival of the Fittest has been released. Originally developed by darfpga on Github and ported to MiSTer by birdybro and JasonA, you can now obtain the core from the official updater.
- Github: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Arcade-Joust2_MiSTer
- Misterfpga.org forum post: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=4407
- Tweet: https://twitter.com/MiSTerFPGABot/status/1508207521206607877
- Reddit Post: https://www.reddit.com/r/MiSTerFPGA/comments/tq56q0/joust_2_new_mister_arcade_core_released/
New Core Mystic Marathon
And we have another new arcade core. This one is for Mystic Marathon and like Joust 2, it was also originally developed by darfpga on Github and ported to MiSTer by birdybro and JasonA. Mystic Marathon is a horizontally scrolling game by Williams Electronics released in 1984. The game has you racing an elf-like creature called a Benkin against other Benkins. The goal is to finish the race in the top three so you can progress to the other race.
- GitHub: https://github.com/birdybro/Arcade-MysticMarathon-MiSTer
- Misterfpga.org post: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=4417
Konami’s Pingpong Core
Core developer Jotego has released a new beta core for his Patreon subscribers. This one is for the arcade game Konami’s Ping Pong. As with all of Jotego’s cores, he will release it to the public once the beta phase has been completed.
- Twitter post: https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1509919733637947397
- Support Jotego on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/topapate
Playstation Core Cheats
Cheats for the PlayStation core are aviable on gamehacking.org. To use these cheats you will have to extract them to the /media/fat/cheats/PSX directory.
- Cheat downloads: https://gamehacking.org/mister/
- www.misterfpga.org forum post: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=47626#p47626
- My Playstation core setup video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj0X1Yes170
Custom Composite/Svideo Core Builds
MikeSimone3 on twitter has created some custom builds of cores with native composite & S-video support through the Analog IO board’s VGA port or the HDMI port via direct video. At the moment he doesn’t advise using direct video and is looking for a cleaner option.
- GitHub: https://github.com/MikeS11/Template_MiSTer
- GitHub downloads: https://github.com/MikeS11/Template_MiSTer/tree/master/YC%20Builds
- Misterfpga.org forum posts:
- Twitter posts:
A work-in-progress SparcStation core is availabkle for download. The SparcStation were a series of workstations developed by Sun Microsystems. It had its own hardware architecture that ran on Suns custom SPARC CPU’s.
- Misterfpga.org post: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4421&sid=37dd2d99814ac48927d5100dc280d5b8
MiSTer Google Slides PDF Project :: Help Needed
A Google Slide/PDF project is being created to provide tips and helpful commands for cores.
For example, the Commodore 64 document has a diagram that shows you which Commodore 64 key maps to the key on your keyboard, how to list a floppy disk images content,how to load a program and more.
Each core will have a document tailored to it and the system it’s implementing. If you are very well versed on a specific system or core, you can help contribute to this project by requesting access in the MiSTerFPGA forums.
- Misterfpga.org post: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=4403
Save File Converter
On last week’s RetroRGB Weekly Roundup video, Bob talked about a save file converter that will convert video game save files between different devices and emulators. This is just a friendly reminder that the converter also supports the MiSTer FPGA.
- Main Site: https://savefileconverter.com/#/mister
- Github: https://github.com/euan-forrester/save-file-converter
- RetroRGB post: https://www.retrorgb.com/save-file-converter.html
My Life in Gaming MiSTer FPGA Video
The My Life in Gaming YouTube channel has released a very detailed and informative video primer on the MiSTer FPGA. They go over things like setting up your MiSTer, the input options, demonstrations of different cores and more. It’s a really well made video with the high production value they are known for.
- YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhT6YYRH1EI
- RetroRGB post: https://www.retrorgb.com/massive-2022-primer-video-on-mister-fpga.html
Entex Adventure Vision
There’s been a lot of new cores lately. There is now another new core for the Entex Adventure Vision, developed by Kitrinx on Github. The Adventure Vision was a cartridge-based video game console housed in a portable arcade-like cabinet.
- GitHub: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/AdventureVision_MiSTer
- Misterfpga.org forum post: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=47817#p47817
- Octavius King video on Entex Adventure Vision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QthPO_2YNvQ
And another core has been released. It seems to be an original game called Slug Cross. In the game you are a green square slug and you need to make it safely past the red lines to the bottom right corner.
- GitHub: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/SlugCross_MiSTer
- Misterfpga.org: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=47878#p47878