I bought the ipega controller hoping it would be the next-best mobile bluetooth controller. Sadly, it’s just another cheap imitation.
Other than looking like a Gametel-clone, the three things that immediately drew me to the ipega controller were the D-pad, the analog sticks and the shape.
I’ll start with the good:
– The D-pad is awesome. As much as I love the Gametel, the circular D-pad just doesn’t always feel right to me. This is a regular plus-style D-pad that feels exactly the way it should.
– The clip that holds the phone is just as solid as the Gametel’s. Not once did I feel like my phone would fall out when playing.
– Setup was really easy: Just turn it off, then turn it back on while holding the A, B, X, or Y buttons to select modes.
Now, onto the bad: Pretty much everything else.
– The Start and Select buttons do nothing in iCade mode. Literally, they’re not map-able at all. That means you’ll have to sacrifice one of the other buttons to get Start or Select. Who’s dumb idea was this!?!?
– There was a noticeable button lag: I always notice a lag with all mobile controllers, however it’s so minor, most other people wouldn’t. That being said, anyone would notice the lag on this controller!
– The shape of the controller made it look bigger and easier to hold, but it was pretty much the exact same size as the Gametel and didn’t feel any different:
– When clipped into the controller, your phone sits at an angle. This is 100% preference, but I prefer it flat:
To make matters worse, I emailed ipega about the issues I had and they never responded. I sent a second email to every email address listed on their website, saying I was reviewing the controller for my website and wanted to give them a chance to tell their side of the story…and they still didn’t respond.
As a result, I have to recommend that NO ONE buy this controller. Sure, the D-pad is nice, but everything else about it is either terrible, or the exact same as the Gametel. It’s much better to get that instead.